Self Employed

Stay covered by making voluntary contributions towards your long service leave.

If you are a Self-Employed Contractor performing building, electrical or metal trades work in South Australia and you have accrued less than 10 years of full time service, you can continue accruing long service leave by making voluntary contributions.

How does the Self-Employed Contractor scheme work?

Six returns are issued each year for the following bi-monthly periods:

  • January/February
  • March/April
  • May/June
  • July/August
  • September/October
  • November/December

If you would like to make a contribution for that period you will need to login to the Worker Portal to lodge the return. An invoice for payment will be generated upon lodgement.

For each invoice you pay, we credit you with the maximum number of service days in that two month period. If you pay all six invoices each financial year, you will be credited with 260 service days.

Payment of each invoice is completely voluntary, however naturally if you choose not to make payment you will not be credited with any service days for that period.

Upon request, invoices can be paid in advance until the end of the financial year.

What is the current contribution rate?

The contribution rate for the 2023-2024 financial year is $270.

Contributions will accrue interest at 6.00% per annum.

When should I register?

The sooner you register, the sooner you will be eligible to take long service leave! In order for your time as a Self-Employed Contractor to be added onto the service days accrued as an employee, you will need to register within the following timeframe.

Number of service days accrued

Timeframe to register after ceasing as an employee

Less than 1,300 (equivalent to 5 years full time employment)

2 years

More than 1,300 but less than 1,820 (between 5 years and 7 years full time employment)

3 years

More than 1,820 but less than 2,600 (between 7 years and 10 years full time employment)

No time limit (as if you have accrued 1,820 service days you are eligible to claim a pro-rata payment if you choose)
More than 2,600 (equivalent to 10 years full time employment)Not eligible to register

How do I register?

Log into the Worker Portal to complete a request to Register as a Self Employed Contractor and upload evidence of your work as a Self-Employed Contractor such as:

  • invoices for work completed
  • trade accounts
  • income tax returns
  • builders license